Links to Instructional Design blogs

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Week 7 Reflection: Fitting the Pieces Together


During the past seven weeks I have studied the major learning theories:  behaviorist, cognitive, constructivist, social learning, connectivism and the adult learning theories.  During week one I stated I believed I fit best in the cognitive learning theory.  I believe this still remains the best fit. I am a very self-motivated, self-directed learner.  I set high standards of achievement because I like to, not because the standards were set for me.  I have a fairly structured method of learning that employs my cognitive skills.  These traits serve me well both as a student and as a worker.  

When I began the course, I had related “learning theories” with “learning styles”.  Although both are important to understand, they are different.  I believe it is important to understand the various learning theories to effectively design curriculum.  Some theories may be more important to incorporate into instructional design based on knowing who the audience of learner’s are.  For instance, is the instruction for K-12 learners, young adult learners, or “older” adult learners like myself?  Another factor to consider is the use (or lack of) technology in the classroom or for designing and delivering the instruction.

I do think my view of how I learn has changed because I learned a few new ideas of what I can do to make my learning “stick”.  I have wondered why I have a difficult time with memorizing information.  Understanding how to use mnemonics to help develop a better memory was interesting and something I can use to help me learn.  Understanding the importance of meaningfulness as it relates to a learners ability to retrieve information from long term memory was helpful for me.  I learned from classmates how to periodically stop when I am reading and ask myself a couple questions about what I just read, to see if I understood.  I had also never heard of heuristics, the mental method of solving problems.  Tips like these will impact how I learn going forward.

Perhaps what I have enjoyed learning about the most is the human brain:  how we are wired for learning, how short-term/working memory and long-term memory work (or don’t), how continued learning can actually form new neurons in the brain (very interesting), and the implications of brain development on learning.  I find brain research extremely interesting and believe it is helpful to understand for designing curriculum.

Technology plays a large role in my learning.  As an online student, I rely on technology to deliver my classroom, my materials (online libraries), to view and submit assignments, etc.  I use the internet to find information I need to know or want to know, network with other professionals to ask questions of via discussion boards (LinkedIn), etc.  When I want to know something, technology is what I use to find the answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment